Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
I developed this sandwich while I was living in Atlanta in the summer of 2014. When I lived on campus at NC State, my traditional Sunday breakfast was a bagel sandwich from Bruegger’s Bagels – none of the on-campus eateries opened early enough to make it to church, and sometimes I’d see people I knew at Bruegger’s.
Our house in Atlanta, however, had no bagel shop within walking distance. So I developed this sandwich, and since then it’s saved me a significant amount of money compared to eating out on Sunday mornings.
This sandwich is a complete breakfast for one person. It pairs well with coffee or orange juice.
- 1 everything bagel
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of cheese (my favorite is Food Lion’s Extra Sharp NY Cheddar)
- Baby spinach
- Cream cheese spread
- Skillet, prepared with nonstick spray
- Toast bagel to medium.
- While toasting the bagel, crack the egg in the skillet, and fry it on medium.
- Break the yolk to prevent it from becoming excessively runny, unless you like runny yolks. Don’t scramble the yolk and white though.
- Flip the egg when the underside starts to brown.
- When the bagel is toasted, apply a light spread of cream cheese to the inside of each half.
- When the egg is done, stack the egg, spinach, and cheese on the bagel. (Order doesn’t really matter.)